Initial Setup of your Watch
- Time – 12hr or 24hr
- Units – statute or metric
- HR monitor – If you own a HR monitor strap, and plan to use it, say yes
- Male or female
- Activity class – check ur manual for a chart
- Lifetime athlete – according to the manual, say yes if you have you been training intensely for years and have a resting HR below 60 beats per minute.
Setting up your Garmin Connect Account Online
- Click “get started with Garmin Connect” and then, “create a free account”
- Fill out all the info, click continue.
- Now choose your device – 310XT
- Follow steps 1 and 2 listed on the screen.
- Click the download for your operating system, and follow all the instructions.
Do not plug in the ANT stick until you are told to so. Download and install the Garmin ANT agent setup. When it’s all finished Garmin will ask you to connect your ANT stick.
- Turn the watch on
- Press the mode button, scroll to settings and press enter
- Scroll to system, press enter
- Scroll to data transfer, press enter
- Make sure that in the box under “Enabled”, yes is selected, and that under “Pairing”, on is selected
- Press the mode button until you are back to data field display screen
- NOW plug in ANT stick to USB port.
- Open the ANT agent program, and make sure your watch is turned on. When the ANT stick detects your watch a window will appear on your computer screen asking if you would like to pair the device, click yes. Your watch will then ask if you want to pair, select yes and press enter
- Now the ANT program will need to download some info from your watch, it will ask for permission. Say yes and the transfer will begin.
- When it is complete a pop up window will tell you, click on the ANT agent icon and Garmin Connect will open in your browser window. After you sign in with your user name and password, your activity screen will be displayed. If you have used the watch before, all the previous workouts that have been saved on the watch, will be listed. If not, it will be blank.
After a Paddle with your Garmin
Other Useful Tips
Changing “modes” for different sports
- Press and hold the mode button, until you see the screen in the photo
- Scroll down to “other” and press enter
- Now you can consider “other” your SUP screen, and if you run or bike you can choose that mode for those workouts.
- Press the mode button and scroll to settings and press enter
- If you are in the “other” mode, select “other settings” (if not it may say “bike settings”, or “run settings”), press enter
- Scroll to Auto Lap, press enter
- Here, I use “by distance”, and set the distance at 1 mile. This way, my watch beeps at the end of every mile during my paddle and shows a quick screen with the mile time on it. Also, when you open Garmin Connect, you will see a chart listing each mile, the time and your average speed. (Similar to the one in the photo)
- Turn the watch on and press mode
- Scroll down to settings, press enter
- Scroll to system, press enter
- Scroll all the way down to “initial set up”, and press enter
- You will be asked: Run wizard next start up? Say yes.
- Turn your watch off and then on again. Initial Setup will start.
- Turn your watch on and press mode
- Select other settings
- Scroll to Heart Rate, press enter
- Scroll to ANT+ HR, press enter
- You will be asked: HR monitor present? (you must be wearing it), select yes and press enter
- The watch will start scanning for your HR monitor
- When it is found, a window will pop up saying “HR monitor detected”
- Press the mode button until you get back to your data screens