Where and When
- The event is hosted at Brittlebank Park (0 Lockwood Boulevard, Charleston, SC 29403) on September 19, 2015
- Pre-Registration required, No Race Day Registration
- Packet Pick up September 18, 3:00-8:00pm, at the Charleston Marriott (the host hotel) at 170 Lockwood Boulevard Charleston SC 29403. Free secure board storage available on a space available basis
- Pre-Race Party/Reception: September 18, 5:00-8:00pm, at the Charleston Marriott, Aqua Terrace Lounge at 170 Lockwood Boulevard Charleston SC 29403.
- Race Day:
- Racers Meeting at 8:00am
- Harbor Course start at 9:00am
- Battery Course start at 9:20am
- Kids Course at 1:00pm
- Awards Ceremony at 2:00pm
- Harbor Course (9 miles) in the historical Charleston harbor. Goes around the famous “Battery” and Castle Pinckney. Course is well marked. Lots of Safety Boats.
- Battery Course (4 miles) goes down and back in the Ashley river along side the Battery
- Kids Course (1 mile) is full of challenging buoy turns and all viewable from Brittlebank park
How to register:
Race benefits the Special Olympics of South Carolina. We also have an exhibition Special Olympics Athletes 2 mile race starting at 12:00 viewable from Brittlebank park
Cash Purse of $6000. Cash prizes go 5 deep on the Harbor Course (9 mile) for both Men and Women and for both 14 and 12’6. There is even a small cash prize for the top Men’s and Women’s Harbor Course (9 mile) Prone Division
Free lunch included in registration and provided by two local favorite Food Trucks
Beer will also be available post race courtesy of Sweetwater.
Paddle Fit Certification: September 17-18, 8:00am to 5:00 pm. Sign up directly through Paddle Fit at http://www.paddlefitpro.com/get-certified/ Brittlebank Park
Prone Paddle Technique Clinic by Cynthia Aguilar: September 18, 4:00pm – 5:30pm: Brittlebank Park ($50 option available during online race registration through Paddleguru.com)
Paddle Technique Clinic by Jeramie Vaine of Boga Paddle & Surf : September 18, 5:00pm – 6:00pm: Brittlebank Park ($40 option available during online race registration through Paddleguru.com)
Where to Rent/buy boards and gear
Carolina Paddleboard Company will be making rental arrangements for boards and gear and transporting them to the race. Call them directly at (910) 679 4473. They will also have a tent with large line of equipment available for purchase.
You can also try Odyssey Board Shop in Mt Pleasant for a wide range of SUP products for race day
September 19, 7:00pm – The Shem Creek Shuffle
Meet up with friends at Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant just over the Ravenel Bridge from downtown Chalreston. Cab, Uber, or carpool to one place and pub crawl to several great local favorite and collocated night spots including Red’s Ice House, Table & Tavern, RB’s, Water’s Edge, Vickery’s, and The Shelter
Where to stay (closest to furthest from race venue)
1. Host Hotel: Charleston Marriott, 170 Lockwood Boulevard Charleston SC 29403; (843)723-3000
2. Hilton Garden Inn, 45 Lockwood Drive, Charleston, SC, 29401; (843) 637-40743.
3. Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, 301 Savannah Highway, Charleston, SC 29407; (843) 556-7100
4. Courtyard Charleston Waterfront (Marriott), 35 Lockwood Drive, Charleston, SC 29401; (843) 722-7229
5. Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown – Ashley River; 250 Spring St, Charleston, SC 29403; (843) 722-4000
6. Comfort Inn, 144 Bee St, 29401, (843) 577-2224
7. Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina; 20 Patriots Point Drive, Mount Pleasant; (843) 856-0028
8. Best Western Patriots Point, 259 McGrath Darby Blvd, 29464, (843) 971-7070
9. Hampton Inn Charleston / Mt. Pleasant – Patriots Point 255 Sessions Way, 29464, (843) 881-3300
Where to eat
(Unique local favorites)
Rutledge Cab Co. rutledgecabco.com 1300 Rutledge Ave, Charleston, SC 29403 Open 11:30am – 11:00pm
Edmunds Oast, edmundsoast.com 1081 Morrison Dr Charleston SC 29403 Open 4:30pm – 10:00pm
Tattooed Moose, tattooedmoose.com 1137 Morrison Dr, Charleston, SC 29403 11:30am – 2:00am
Hominy Grill, hominygrill.com 207 Rutledge Ave, Charleston, SC 29403, 7:30am -9:00pm
Hank’s Seaford, hanksseafoodrestaurant.com 10 Hayne St, Charleston, SC 29401, 5:00pm-10:30pm
Nearby Grocery Store: Earth Fare (74 Folly Rd Blvd, Charleston, SC 29407) is the top grocery store in the area. High-end, yet very affordable with lots or organic, new-age hippy stuff too.