This is an overview of the global satellite communicator now has built-in navigation with waypoints and routing.
The Atlantic SUPergirls, who are in the second half of their epic journey from New York City to Key West, Florida walk us through the Delorme InReach Explorer, a critical piece of safety gear.
The Delorme InReach Explorer helps you navigate, create waypoints, log your trip and find your way back. Send and receive text messages. Trigger an interactive SOS. Plan, track and share your journey. You can do all of this from one rugged handheld device with 100% global coverage from Iridium. You can also pair it with your mobile device to access topographic maps and U.S. NOAA charts.
- One rugged handheld device with 100% global coverage from Iridium
- 100% global Iridium satellite coverage
- Create waypoints, log your trip, find your way back, send/receive text messages or trigger an interactive SOS
- Pair it with your mobile device (Apple iOS, Android, or Kindle Fire via Bluetooth) and free Earthmate app to access topographic maps and U.S. NOAA charts
- Create or view a route, drop waypoints, see your detailed GPS tracks, and navigate with the on-screen map view; view route details such as distance and bearing to destination
- Plan your route online ahead of time and share it with family and friends to follow along and watch your progress
- Adjustable tracking intervals from 10 min. to 4 hrs. allow you to track your trip and share your location, including GPS coordinates, course elevation and speed
- Equipped with a digital compass, barometric altimeter, accelerometer and odometer; display trip time, max speed, moving average and trip distance while in the field
- Color screen and virtual keyboard with predictive text for standalone 2-way messaging
- Contract-free month-to-month plans or annual subscriptions available
- Waterproof/dustproof (IP67, standard submersion to 1m for 30 min.); impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810G for shock)
- 100 hrs. of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode with a clear view to the sky
- The DeLorme inReach Explorer comes with a wall charging adapter and USB cord for easy charging
- Made in USA.
SOS messages are received by GEOS, a worldwide emergency response coordination center with 24/7/365 staffing. Enterprise plans also available for customers looking to enable tracking intervals of 5, 2, 1 minute, and 30 seconds. Contact DeLorme directly for Enterprise plans.
About the SUPergirls
The SUPerGirls—Louanne Harris and Julieta “Jules” Gismondi—are paddling standup paddleboards from New York to Miami to raise awareness of issues that affect our health, our environment and our lives.
“Our expedition’s objective is to inspire action towards a healthier planet and a healthier way of life. Two thirds of the funds raised during our trip will be donated to important causes that are very dear to us: Mission Blue and First Descents. We will also be collecting data as we paddle along the coast and contributing the results to research focused on studying the changes that are happening in our oceans and waterways. We want to help understand how we affect these as well as how they affect us. Your help means the world! We are eternally grateful for your support.”
First Descents provides life-changing outdoor adventures for young adults (age 18-39) impacted by cancer. For more information on First Descents, go to: http://firstdescents.org/
Mission Blue is an initiative of the Sylvia Earle Alliance to ignite public support for the protection of Hope Spots – special places that are vital to the health of the ocean – through the creation of a global network of marine protected areas to safeguard 20% of the ocean by 2020. For more information on Mission Blue, go to: http://missionblue.org/
For more information about Louanne and Jules on their adventure, go to: http://atlanticsupergirls.com/
Help fund and support their mission