- This event has passed.
Calusa Palooza Race for Clean Water
March 22, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm EDT
Join us for the “Race for Clean Water” and help kick-off the day’s events for the Calusa Palooza festival and “Concert for Clean Water.” https://calusawaterkeeper.org
RULES & REGULATIONS FOR CALUSA PALOOZA “RACE FOR CLEAN WATER” KAYAK AND PADDLE BOARD RACES
1. Races may be cancelled at organizer’s sole discretion due to local weather or water conditions as issued the US Coast Guard or local safety agencies. [Registration fees will be reimbursed in case of cancellation]
2. All competitors must be “pre-registered” and will have paid our $25 registration fee, signed the Rules and Regulations Protocol Statement, Eligibility Affidavit and Code of Ethics as well as a Liability Waiver and Image Release Waiver.
3. “Leashes” and PFD’s (flotation devices) mandatory
4. Mandatory Race Rules Meeting for all competitors prior to race with visuals of route, position of spotting boats, safety protocols, etc.
5. All Heats will use the same 2-mile course for all levels and all competitors. We will not cross the channel.
6. Course travels East from starting point at Centennial Park, travels under Rt 41 bridge turning back at the City Marina. Racers will do 4 laos of the designated route to complete 2 miles.
7. Spotting Safety Boats (5 in total along Race Route) will be supplied by Power Squadrons and by Calusa Waterkeeper Ranger Academy
8. All Spotting Boats will have a safety evacuation plan and first aid on board
9. All Spotting Boats will have communication with other Spotting Boats and with Home Base (race start / finish line).
10. Three Spotting Safety Boats are in fixed positions along race route. Two “floaters” can travel to an area of emergency as necessary.
11. EMS will have emergency personnel at home base in Centennial Park
12. 4 Heats of up to 20 craft:
1. 8:00 am Sign in
2. 9:30 am Mandatory Race Rules Meeting (disqualification for not attending)
3. 10:30 am Elite pro “Surf-skis Class
4. 11:00 am 14’ – 17’ Class
5. 11:30 am Under 14’ Class
6. 12:00 pm SUP Boards 13.
Register for your chosen heat at http://ow.ly/HNkC50yiMDq or email [email protected] for more info.
14. Once you register, you will be sent a mail with additional logistics, including Parking diagram
15. Winners will receive Awards, including prizes and medals at Calusa Palooza Awards Ceremony at 1pm in Centennial Park.
All net proceeds to benefit Calusa Waterkeeper programs, including water quality monitoring and public education and awareness.